Being a teacher, spending most of my day with children, I have learnt many things which can tune my every day into a new, refreshing and enthusiastic journey. Few to share over here:
- Children don’t carry their baggage of emotions and feelings from one day to the next. They start fresh, always.
- Many times, I stood astounded looking at the children spending more time in creative works like drawing, making sandcastles, playing with clay etc. As we get older, we stop seeing creative works as worthwhile. To be clear, how many adults aside from artists, draw regularly?
- As Charlie Chaplin said ‘a day without laughter is a day wasted. This saying is strongly applicable for children, I feel. As adults, we are rationing the amount of laughter per day and restricting ourselves to passing on a smile to others. But children have the great ability to find joy all around them. They see and enjoy silliness every day, everywhere.
- A child's life feels limitless because they are not confined by tears or feel for failures or humiliation. Whenever I witness any athletic competition, the kids who came in the positions other first & second, seem to be more energetic and laughing by giving hi-five to their friends. When I enquired about the reason behind their celebration, they said, wanted to thank their teachers for giving some time to spend some time with their friends outside the classroom also.
- More than all the above, they wanted to be strong heroes forever. I have seen the children showing their broken arms, cut wounds and scars as their heroic exhibit, they show it proudly. They think that scars aren’t the signs of weakness, but the signs of strength and survival. As we grow older, we hide our scars/wounds, as we don’t want to be seen as weak or pitied. But the children feel it's like ‘A story of my accomplishment’, ‘a story to tell’.
I feel energetic and enthusiastic when I meet my students at school or elsewhere. Their ever-cherishing smile will make us experience a child within us. We may be teachers for their academics but I feel they are the teachers for our emotions and feelings and the ones who will teach us to lead a happy and healthy.