For online classes, students have to sit for a formative assessment to know the amount of knowledge they have gained from learning the material. This is best conducted when done continuously and in smaller portions. Moving from the concept of getting grades to gaining meaningful insights is key today. Students should in time develop the capability to answer questions and solve practical problems. They should also be able to develop effective communication skills.
Here are a few methods that can be implemented alone or in combination to go with the teaching tool kit:
- Online Quiz Portals: Adding technology to the traditional quizzing method is what this is about. Whether it be multiple-choice questions or one-word answers, quizzes help gauge knowledge quickly.
- Long Answer Questions: No matter how quick evaluation gets; long answer questions have a space of their own. These types of tests encourage critical thinking and overall comprehensive skills. It also helps in developing organisational skills.
- Open-book Assessments: These are quite a hit with the student crowd. With the added benefit of calculating how well a student can analyse a new topic and understand it better. These can also be auto-scored, easing work for the teachers too.
- Interactive Polls: This is another fun way to learn on-the-go. Students can learn a lot instantly and adding visuals to the polls will also help them retain information better. Surveys on socially-relevant topics help students to voice their opinions and broaden their thought spectrum by heeding others.
- Peer Review: Assigning reviews to students and doing an active role reversal also help engage students better while making them learn. This also imparts them a chance to form constructive feedbacks.
- Gaming Activities: These give a deviation from the routine tests that can be fun for students while also being close to their choice of entertainment. Speedy game platforms with scoreboards for educational tests or activities help generate healthy competition.
- Forums & Blog Pages: An online discussion platform surrounding a topic of educational interest helps students develop vocational skills and oratory capabilities. This also helps to frame thought processes from both sides, pros and cons for the related topic.
- Online Simulations: Creating and interacting communication for real-life circumstances will help students prepare for future job opportunities. This helps students know how to react, offering a space for healthy reactions too. Marketing and sales related skills can also be enhanced using these platforms.
These can be easily set up with numerous online tools and portals available to facilitate the same. Teachers should also be given adequate training and support to be able to use and effectively navigate these platforms. Infrastructural requirements for the same should also be planned in advance. With adequate support from educational institutions and parents alike, students can get the opportunity for fair assessment even from the comfort of their homes.
While all this is for the betterment of the generation to come, the following should be kept in mind. Educators and parents alike should not forget that assessment is only secondary to the process of learning. The key role of the same is in supporting the educational process while imparting constructive feedback to lead to improvement. No child should be coerced to mug or learn forcefully for the sake of excelling in assessments. This might act counter-productive to learning and will also destroy the learning environment and can make students demotivated. Teaching and education should always be constructive, never otherwise. That should be at the center of everything done for the same too.