Creativity has come to great importance in the workplace. According to World Economic Forum, the skill that is most sought-after among employees of late is creativity. Creativity goes beyond leisure but also helps in resolution. Creativity helps companies to grow, in a world where everything is so fast paced, ideas and innovations change so rapidly, and so organisations need to keep up with consumer needs by not going into a loss. For that they need to find creative solutions which will enable them to create innovations in the workplace in several ways. For example, finding new ways to solve problem that are inherent to the company, or by developing products and services that fill the gaps in the market.
Companies looking to grow should focus on fostering creative energy in the workplace as it is the driving force to become successful. This can be done by encouraging employees to collaborate and bring forth new innovations and solutions. The following are ways to foster creativity in the workplace.
- Encourage programs that promote creativity. By giving employees a certain period off during their work to focus on projects of their own which would benefit the company. This allows them to collaborate with people they normally wouldn’t and come up with solutions that are beneficial for the organisation.
- The reward system, positive reinforcement of a habit is proven to be quite effective in repetition of it. One could do that by highlighting employees who have devoted their time to be creative and come up with innovative ideas or solutions. This lets them know that creativity is given importance and that there is a positive outcome to thinking out of the box to find new innovations.
- But most of the time individuals are scared to take a risk and got out of their comfort zone in fear of losing their job and hence the company needs to provide some sort of safety net where an individual can be assured that he or she can take calculated risks and will not be at risk and hence giving them the freedom to be creative in their respective field. This can be done by providing reports that encourage creativity through one to one or teams meets and verbally stating it’s importance.
Although creative thinking is quite simple to explain its implementation is not as simple. Creativity is helpful not only beneficial when it comes to financial benefits, but it is also helpful in an individual level. The following are some of the ways benefits of creativity at the workplace.
- Creativity brings people closer; it encourages teamwork. Several companies assign creative tasks to teams as team bonding exercises. Creative exercises are not competitive in nature but require people to come together and brainstorm and hence helps employees to create great work relationships.
- Sense of fulfilment- when individuals feel like they have made a positive change to the organisations there is an increase in positive feeling towards themselves and their organisation which only further encourages them to work harder and perform better.
- Failure no longer becomes a hinderance but a driving force. Creativity helps individuals find new solutions to the same problem. There is a shift in the mindset. Instead of feeling defeated most individuals would find it as an opportunity to grow and learn.
- Problem solving is the ultimate positive outcome of creativity, Creativity helps use the one side of the brain that is never used. And hence when both the left and right is used an individual or employee is better able to be more intuitive which is quite important for problem solving.
- Creativity helps to relieve stress, individuals re indulging more in creative activities and even different form of therapy focus on creativity. This practice as a calming effect and helps in practicing mindfulness, which the ability to focus on what is Infront of you at that time and place. Many individuals are often side-tracked by the thoughts and anxieties of life and work. By being creative and mindful individuals can focus a hundred percent of their energy on the task at hand which is not only beneficial in terms of time being saved but as well the outcome of the work seems to be of much higher standard.
In a study conducted by IBM on 1500 CEOs it was found that creativity ranked first in terms of important skill set to have. It was the number one factor as well which determined success of an organisation. Hence, creativity is not just a mere add on but in fact the core of building a successful organisation or business. And the roots of good creativity lie in the process of education. If the approach of education focuses on moulding the children to think creatively, the approach will also reflect in their corporate work culture in the days to come. When you peg it down, it’ll come down to the right education methods and encouragement that’ll foster creativity in all individuals.